I had no idea but I just found out that Banana Cream Pie is my husband’s favorite. It just so happens to be my favorite too! It’s amazing what you can still learn about someone you’ve lived with for 14 years.
Before we begin first let me issue a warning to all you lovers of oversweetened and carb-heavy desserts. In every single one of my recipes:
- I use less than half the sugar of normal recipes (approx. 1 cup),
- I only use real butter (unsalted, sweet cream),
- I add spices as I desire and
- I try to use all organic and natural (or at least the fresh ingredients).
Banana Coconut Cream Pie
Serving size: 8
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (from any health food store)
* 1/4 cup shredded coconut
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 4 large egg yolks
* 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
* 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
* 3 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
* 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
* 1 tablespoon agave sweetener
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 1 6 oz block of bittersweet chocolate
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake crust 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
Filling: Combine brown sugar, arrowroot, shredded coconut and salt in a bowl. Add egg yolks and 1 teaspoon vanilla, and whisk until smooth. Bring coconut milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk to yolk mixture in a slow, steady stream while whisking constantly. Then pour mixture into saucepan with hot coconut milk and cook, whisking until mixture is thickened (about 6 mins). Add butter and stir until melted then add bananas. Pour into crust and refrigerate for an hour.
Topping: Beat together heavy cream, agave, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, spread whipped cream over filling shaping into peaks.
With a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate and sprinkle over pie.
This time, I made 2 of these so my husband and I don’t fight (no, I’m not kidding… we’re quite serious about our pies). I would have posted a photo of it if I wasn’t so preoccupied with scarfing it down (yes, the entire pie and not much left of his either). Next… sour apple cream walnut pie.