Thanksgiving is over but we still need dessert to go with all the leftovers. I love pecan pie but this time I thought I’d change it up a bit and add some of my favorite ingredients… walnuts, vanilla and orange peel. Again as with all my pies (or anything I bake fore that matter) this is a recipe low in sugar but not sugarless. I hate sugar substitutes like Splenda or even agave. If you have to use a substitute I recommend sucanat, which you can find at any health food store.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
1. Set an oven rack in the lowest position and heat oven to 350º F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, eggs, bourbon or vanilla extract, orange zest and salt. Stir in the pecans.
3. Pour the pecan mixture into the crust and bake until the center is set, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.